Canyon Grove Academy has a common dress code. The intent of the common dress code is to minimize distractions in the learning environment, promote a sense of community among students, and increase campus safety and security. Clothing items conforming to the following standards may be worn, regardless of brand. School uniform items are available at local stores.
Interpretation of the common dress code is the responsibility of the Canyon Grove Academy Administration. Clothing items that are not specifically addressed in this policy, draw undue attention to the student, or disrupt the learning process will not be allowed.
Collared shirt or blouse
- Shirts must be solid white, solid navy blue, or solid forest green.
- Shirts may be capped sleeve, short sleeve, three-‐quarter sleeve, or long sleeve length.
- Turtlenecks and mock turtlenecks are allowed.
General Guidelines for Uniform Tops
- Shirts must be buttoned up to within the top one or two buttons.
- All clothing must be clean, appropriately sized, and worn correctly.
- Pants/shorts/skirts must be worn at the waist. Shoes must be tied or fastened, clothing must be worn right-‐side-‐out, appropriate underwear must be worn. Clothing should not be excessively tight or excessively loose. Clothing shall not be excessively worn or have holes. No “low-‐riding” of pants or shorts will be allowed.
Pants, capris, shorts, skort, skirt, or jumper
- Bottoms must be solid khaki, solid navy blue, or approved school plaid.
- Items must be made from woven cotton, linen, corduroy, or cotton/polyester blend fabrics. Denim fabrics are not allowed.
General Guidelines for Uniform Bottoms
- Pants, capris, shorts, skorts, and skirts should be worn at the waist or hips. No “low riding” is allowed, even if the undergarments do not show.
- The hemlines in jumpers and skirts shall be no shorter than 2 inches above the kneecap; shorts and skorts will not be shorter than 4 inches above the kneecap.
- Shorts that are worn under skirts must not be visible and must be a dark color.
- Ankle or capri length leggings in navy blue, forest green, or white may be worn under skirts and jumpers.
- Only dark belts with a conservative buckle may be worn. If a belt is worn it should pass through all belt loops.
- Students may wear their choice of optional tie in solid navy blue, solid forest green, or the approved school plaid.
- Only solid white or primarily dark shoes (black, dark brown, navy blue, or gray) with closed toes and closed heels are allowed. Shoes should not have contrasting logos or bright, neon or distracting trim. Shoes must be properly fastened or tied. No wheeled shoes will be allowed. No shoes with lights will be allowed. Dark laces must be worn with dark shoes. White laces must be worn with white shoes.
- Students may wear solid white or dark colored (e.g., navy, black, brown, gray, forest) socks.
- Girls are able to wear solid color tights or leggings under their skirts or dresses of navy, white, or khaki color.
- For warmth, in the classroom, students may wear a solid navy, forest green, or white cardigan, blazer, sweater vest, hoodless sweatshirt, or zip-‐up fleece jacket (with or without hood). Hoods may not be worn inside the building. The uniform shirt must be visible. Pullover hoodie style sweatshirts are not allowed.
- Only conservative hairstyles in natural hair colors are acceptable. Hair accessories with metallic, white, navy blue, forest green, brown, black, or approved school plaid hair accessories are appropriate.
- Minimal, natural looking make‐up may be worn.
- Minimally distracting jewelry is allowed. Jewelry is limited to a small crucifix or religious medal, a single ring, a medical bracelet, a conservative watch, or small post-‐type earrings, or a single bracelet in a non-‐distracting color.
- Girls are limited to one earring per ear. Boys may not wear earrings. No body or facial piercing jewelry allowed. No gauges allowed.
Hats and Outerwear
- Head coverings will be allowed indoors only for religious beliefs or medical conditions. Hats that offer protection from the sun may be worn during outdoor activities. Such hats must be solid navy, solid forest green, or solid khaki with no graphics or logos other than the school emblem.
- Outerwear (coats, hats, scarves, gloves, etc.) must be removed while students are inside the building.
- No graphics, cartoon characters, words, large logos, gang insignia, or visibly distracting buttons and trims are allowed on any clothing items, accessories, or shoes.
- Clothing must be suitable for the weather, appropriately sized, clean, mended, pressed, and worn neatly-‐ right side out. Undergarments should not be visible.
- Interpretation of the common dress policy is the responsibility of the CGA Administration. Clothing items that are not specifically addressed in this policy, draw undue attention to the student, or disrupt the learning process will not be allowed.
- School spirit days may include relaxed dress requirements. Such days are approved by the CGA Board of Trustees or Administration in advance. They will be announced and posted on the school calendar and website.
Approved School Plaid
Canyon Grove Academy Board of Trustees has approved the following plaid:
Acceptable plaids are available from multiple manufacturers:
- Buckhead: #63, #35
- Classy Uniforms
- Custom School Uniforms/Thorson Embroidery: plaid #61
- Dennis: campbell 201-‐215, carden 201-‐220, christopher 201-‐225
- Frank Bee: 1B-‐PC
- Inka’s: #59
- Land’s End: white plaid
Discovery Day T-shirts can be purchased at the front office. They are $5.25 each and are required for all students and volunteers attending Discovery Day activities.